Until governments formulate legislation enforcing retailers and manufacturers to provide full information regarding the ingredients in the products they make and sell, let’s get on with the job ourselves of:
- becoming ‘informed’ consumers
- rejecting certain products known to contain toxics
- rejecting certain brand names known to use toxics in their products
- letting retailers, manufacturers and corporate brands know what we don’t want, through our combined purchasing power.
WHAT WE DO WANT
On every product we want to see:
- an easy to read list of all ingredients
- identification of ingredients untested for health effects
- health warnings of any TOXICS*:
– used during product manufacture
– contained in product
– contained in product packaging
– contained in product due to exposure during transportation.
* mutagens, endocrine disruptors, reproductive toxins and carcinogens [MERCs]
Look out every month for Aunty’s shopping tips, starting in April with her basic rules on shopping for toxic-free products.